lam n : a rapid escape (as by criminals); "the thieves made a clean getaway"; "after the expose he had to take it on the lam" [syn: getaway]
1 flee; take to one's heels; cut and run; "If you see this man, run!"; "The burglars escaped before the police showed up" [syn: run, scarper, turn tail, run away, hightail it, bunk, head for the hills, take to the woods, escape, fly the coop, break away]
- Rhymes with: -æm
Old High German
EtymologyCommon , whence also Old English lama, Old Norse lami
- A person who is, by medical reasons, unable to move any limbs; lame
- Inefficient, imperfect, almost ridiculously so.
- Det var ett lamt försök. Gör ditt bästa istället! That was a lame attempt. Do your best instead!
EtymologyArm and arm
- sharp blade
Lam and its various forms has several meanings.
- Lām, a letter of the Arabic alphabet
- Lam, Germany, a town in Bavaria
- Lactational amenorrhea method, a contraceptive method
- Linhas Aéreas de Moçambique - National airline of Mozambique
- LAM, an internet slang acronym meaning "leave a message"
- LAM, the International Air Transport Association airport code for Los Alamos Airport
- LAM/MPI, an MPI programming environment and development system for heterogeneous computers on a network
- Land-Air 'Mech, a variety of BattleMech in the BattleTech board game
- Loadable Authentication Modules, an authentication framework used by IBM AIX
- Lobe Attachment Module - a type of token ring connection.
- London After Midnight, an L.A. Band.
- Lymphangioleiomyomatosis, a rare lung disease
- the collection code of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
- Lightweight Attack Muniton, a weapon in the computer game Deus Ex
- Lipoarabinomannan, a glycolipid associated with the cell wall of Mycobacterium tubercolosis
Lam.May be an abbreviation for:
IndiaLam is a surname in Southern India.
VietnameseLâm is a common Vietnamese surname.
CantoneseLam is a common Cantonese (Hong Kong) surname. It is a variant of Mandarin Chinese Lin.
Lam, author and consultant
- Wilfredo Lam, artist
- Ringo Lam, film director
- Chet Lam, singer/songwriter
- Carol Lam, ex. US Attorney
- George Lam (林子祥), singer
- Richard Lam, lyricist
- Tony Lam, politician
- Lam Kor-wan, serial killer
- Anthony Lam, fire fighter
- Adrian Lam, coach
- Eman Lam, musician
- Sarah Lam, actress
- Pat Lam, rugby player
- Lam Bun, radio commentator
- David Lam, Lieutenant Governor
- Sandy Lam, singer
- Derek Lam, fashion designer
- Stephen Lam, government official
- Raymond Lam, actor
- Karena Lam (林嘉欣), actress
- Dale Lam, choreographer
- Chua Lam, newspaper columnist
- Yin-ling Lam, news broadcaster
- Bun-Ching Lam, concert pianist and composer
- Roden Won Log Lam, Hulk, conservationist, groupie
- Wilfredo Lam, artist
Lam is also an uncommon (South East Asia) surname. It is a variant of Mandarin Chinese Lan literary means "blue".
- Tai Lam Country Park, Hong Kong
- Po Lam, area of Hong Kong
- Lam Research, semiconductor design company
- Phra Lak Phra Lam, Lao version of the Ramayana
- Monts de Lam, a department of Chad
- Lum Invader, a fictional character from the manga and anime series Urusei Yatsura whose name is sometimes romanized as "Lam"
lam in German: LAM
lam in Esperanto: LAM
lam in French: LAM
lam in Italian: LAM
lam in Dutch: Lam
lam in Japanese: LAM
lam in Portuguese: Lam
lam in Kölsch: LAM (Watt ėßß datt?)